District of Innovation
What is a "District of Innovation"?
A District of Innovation is a concept passed by the 84th Legislative Session in House Bill 1842, effective immediately, that gives traditional school districts most of the flexibilities available to Texas' open enrollment charter schools.
What can a District of Innovation do?
Potential benefits of becoming a District of Innovation include:
- Local control: Districts decide which flexibilities best suit their local needs.
- Customization: Districts can create an innovation plan for a level of school (e.g., only high schools), grade level, or a single campus.
- Autonomy: Districts must submit a district of innovation plan to the commissioner of education, but approval is not required.
- Flexibility: Districts will have the flexibility to implement practices similar to charter schools, including exemptions from mandates such as:
- School start date
- 90% attendance rule
- Class-size ratios
- Site-based decision-making processes
- Certain student discipline provisions
- Use of planning and preparation periods
- Teacher appraisal requirements
Tornillo Independent School District Public Notice
On April 25, 2018, the Board of Trustees will hold a public hearing to consider whether the Tornillo Independent School District should adopt the proposed District of Innovation Plan. At the conclusion of the public hearing or as soon as possible after conclusion of the public hearing, the Board of Trustees may:
1. Adopt the District of Innovation Plan for 5 Years with a 2/3 Vote.
The public hearing will be held during the regularly scheduled meeting of the Tornillo ISD Board of Trustees, which will begin at 5:30 p.m. in the Tornillo ISD Central Administration, Board Room, located at 19200 Cobb Ave, Tornillo TX 79853.
La Junta de Sindicos llevara a cabo una audiencia publica el 25 de abril del 2018 para considerar si el Distrito Escolar Independiente de Tornillo deberia aprobar el plan local de innovación. En la audiencia publica, o tan pronto coma sea posible despues de la audiencia publica, el Patronato podra:
1. Aprobar el plan de innovación por 5 años con un voto de 2/3 .
La audiencia publica sera durante la junta de Sindicos regularmente programada de Tornillo ISD, que comenzara a las 5:30 p.m. en la Administración Central de Tornillo ISD, Sala de juntas, ubicada en 19200 Cobb Ave, Tornillo TX 79853.